This post may contain affiliate links and/or Amazon affiliate links; I will be compensated if you make a purchase after clicking on my links. Please see my full disclosure policy for details.
THE FOX AND THE HOUND & THE FOX AND THE HOUND 2 are available as a 2-Movie Collection on Blu-ray Hi-Def & DVD Combo Pack in celebration of the 30th Anniversary of the original film.
The Fox and The Hound, Disney’s 24th animated feature released in 1981, marked a “changing of the guard” from the legendary “nine old men,” including Wolfgang Reitherman, Frank Thomas and Ollie Johnston, who had joined the studio its very early days and worked closely with Walt Disney to develop Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs, the very first animated feature, then went on to create timeless classics such as Cinderella,Bambi and Lady and the Tramp. These iconic figures passed the torch to a new generation of animators including Ron Clements (Animated Screenplay/Story Artist on The Princess and the Frog, Aladdin, The Little Mermaid) Glen Keane (Animation Supervisor/Directing Animator on Tangled, Beauty and the Beast, Little Mermaid) and John Musker (Animation Supervisor/Directing Animator on Princess and the Frog, Aladdin, The Little Mermaid), who would lead Disney animation’s renaissance in the 1980’s with new landmark animated films such as The Little Mermaid and Beauty and the Beast.
The Fox and the Hound 30th Anniversary Synopsis:
When Tod, an orphaned fox cub meets Copper, a coonhound puppy, they make a pledge to be lifelong friends, not realizing that Copper is being groomed to hunt wild animals, including foxes. Copper spends the winter with his owner, Slade, and an older dog, Chief, tracking animals at a remote cabin. When they return, a lonely Tod eagerly greets his old playmate but is stunned when a reluctant Copper joins Slade and Chief to chase Tod through the forest. During the pursuit, Tod escapes but Chief is seriously injured. Seeking revenge, Copper hunts down Tod only to find himself confronting an even bigger enemy, which he and Tod must face together.
In The Fox and the Hound 2, music takes centerstage as Tod contemplates joining up with “The Singin’ Strays,” a group of harmonizing dogs appearing at the local county fair but dreaming of hitting the big time at the Grand OleOpry. While Tod does his best to fit in with his new friends, Copper finds himself relegated to “roadie,” a position he begins to resent. With the encouragement of Dixie, the “diva” of “The Singin” Strays,” Copper manages to sabotage an important audition. The next day, their differences were forgotten, Copper and Tod team up and, using Copper’s superior tracking skills, they locate the Grand Ole Opry talent scout who signs “The Singin’ Strays” (minus Tod, who chooses his friendship with Copper over fame) on the spot.
- Unlikely Friends: A fun and fascinating Collection of Unlikely Friendships in the Animal Kingdom (ALL-NEW) — Friendships know no boundaries. They can occur across country lines, be shared among young and old, and even develop between different species!
The Fox and the Hound:
- o “Best of Friends” Sing-A-Long – Viewers are invited to sing along with Pearl Bailey on this Walt Disney Classic Song.
- o Passing the Baton: Making of The Fox and the Hound – This feature allows fans to take a deeper look at this little bit of Disney history as legendary animators hand over the reins to a new generation.
The Fox and the Hound 2 :
- “You Know I Will” Music Video – High School Musical Star Lucas Grabeel sings this end-credit song.
- The Making of the Music – Music is the center stage in The Fox and the Hound 2. As such, this feature showcases how the songs in the film were created with Reba McEntire, Trisha Yearwood, and some of the hottest performers in Nashville. Viewers will further discover how animation and music work together to further enhance a classic story.