This post may contain affiliate links and/or Amazon affiliate links; I will be compensated if you make a purchase after clicking on my links. Please see my full disclosure policy for details.
Let’s Celebrate Earth Day 2013 With TV Shows, Crafts, and Sweepstakes!
Watch “Curious George Swings into Spring” on Earth Day, April 22. Check your local listings to find out when the special will air near you!
Help celebrate spring and Earth Month with Curious George and these activities:
- “Let’s Build a Bird Feeder” instructions
- Materials needed: 1 set of chopsticks & birdseed
- “Make a Pinwheel” instructions
- Materials needed: a pencil
- “Curious George’s Recycling Challenge”
- Materials needed: crayons
Daniel Tiger’s Neighborhood:
Watch Daniel Tiger’s Neighborhood, premieres on April 22 (check local listings) – just in time to help young viewers learn the importance of cleaning up, picking up and recycling.
The new show features two adorable stories. In Neighborhood Clean Up, a wind storm blows through town making a mess of the Neighborhood playground and no one can play. King Friday proclaims that it is “Clean-Up Day” and everyone helps restore the playground by throwing out and recycling the trash. The Neighborhood children – along with young viewers at home – learn that, by working together, the playground can be ready for play again in no time! And in Clean Up Time, Daniel and his best friend O the Owl are playing “farm” at Daniel’s house. They are having a lot of fun, but are also making quite a mess! After losing his watch in a messy room, Daniel realizes that cleaning up and putting his toys away will help him find it. And the great clean-up begins!
Simple and fun ideas for celebrating the special day (and Mother Earth) together:
- Proclaim your own “Clean-Up Day”! Tidy up your yard, and clean out the winter clutter. While you’re at it, find out what kind of trees, plants, and wildlife are “at home” in your backyard and neighborhood, too!
- Plant a garden! Pick out the kinds of vegetables you’d like to grow or design a flower bed together – kids love to get their hands dirty! If you live in an apartment, you can create a beautiful flower or herb garden right on your terrace or windowsill.
- Help beautify a park or playground! Get a group of parents and preschoolers
- together and visit a local park to help make sure that it’s trash free and ready for playtime!
- Recycle together! Invite your children to get in on the act of recycling! Have them assist you in tying up those newspapers and magazines, collecting the cans and bottles, crunching the cardboard boxes – and making sure that everything goes in its proper bin.
Green Kid Crafts:
Discover the “My Weather Station” themed Discovery Box! Projects include building your very own Weather Station, making a Cloud Finder, and creating a Ribbon Wind Sock. Subscribe by May 1st to receive this special delivery!
Safari LTD is giving away one free TOOB to a family that goes green. To enter visit their Facebook event page: https://www.facebook.com/events/496956107031139/
Tree Tom Fu:
Tree Fu Tom is an animated adventure series that features the voice of “Dr. Who” star David Tennant. In addition to promoting environmental conservation, it also encourages interactive physical activity and development of motor skills among preschoolers. This new animated series will be making its U.S. debut on SPROUT on Earth Day, Monday, April 22
Download Earth Day Wallpaper from Kashi:
Bring Kashi’s Mantras to your phone, Facebook page or desktop.
Celebrate Earth Day with the Lorax:
Visit the Seussville Website for printables, crafts, activities, and recipes to help young ones protect the environment and care for the Earth.