This post may contain affiliate links and/or Amazon affiliate links; I will be compensated if you make a purchase after clicking on my links. Please see my full disclosure policy for details.
News-O-Matic, Daily News For Kids
This daily newspaper app is targeted to kids ages 7-10 and features five stories. Each story has images, videos, illustrations, and a map that shows the location of each story. There are also Fact and Act buttons that give you a fact about the story and the Act button tells you how or what you can do in regards to the story. For example with the Almost Perfect story, they ask kids to learn how others cope with disappointment.
There are also several interactive features:
- Games: the two games include puzzles and a mystery word
- News Room: Kids can interact with the Editor-in-Chief, Russ, by rating stories, drawing pictures, asking questions or expressing opinions about current topics
- Time Capsule: an interactive timeline
Each article is written by a staff of professional children’s writers, including teachers, and reviewed by a child psychologist before publication to ensure emotionally safe content. News-O-Matic is 100% ad-free.
Overall, I like the idea of a kids news app. My nine-year-old is right in the middle of the targeted demographic and with this app, I don’t have to worry about censoring certain articles. Today was the first issue I received and it included the following articles:
- Changing The Classroom: All about the iPad and how they are showing up in schools
- Vote For Zari: A woman runs for office in Pakistan
- Almost Perfect: Yu Darvish, Texas Picture, comes close to making history
- World’s Largest Ice Cream: World Record set in Japan
- Star Power: Madonna visits Malawi Schools
While the app is free and you do get 3 FREE issues, the rest will cost you: Yearly subscription: $49.99 (260 issues), Monthly subscription: $6.99 (22 issues) Weekly subscription: $1.99 + 1 week free (10 issues)
I was provided with product for this review. All views and opinions with regard to News-O-Matic: Daily News for Kids App Review or the company are my own and were not influenced by the company.