This post may contain affiliate links. The Review Wire may collect a share of sales if you decide to shop from them. Please see my full disclosure policy for details.
Summer is here, and there is no better time for outdoor adventures. Whether it’s going on a hike, visiting a park, planting a garden, camping, geocaching, or stargazing, Nat Geo Kids makes it easy and fun for kids of all ages to escape the indoors and explore the outdoors.
Little Kids First Nature Guide: Bugs (ages 4-8)
Discover the many insects, spiders, and other creatures―aka-BUGS!―that creep, crawl, and fly around your neighborhood and beyond. Young explorers learn where, when, and how to safely and kindly find insects, spiders, and other creepy-crawlies such as worms and pill bugs with this fun and sturdy take-along guide. Features include:
- Easy-to-understand profiles of a variety of insects and spiders commonly found in North America, along with some exotic bugs from around the world
- Vibrant National Geographic photography that brings the subject matter to life
- “Check Me Out!” fact boxes that provide more information about each creature, including size and color, where it’s found, and what it eats.
- Basic facts about insect and spider anatomy and life cycles
- Tips on how how to become keen observers and explorers and how and where to spot insects and spiders
- Fun facts sprinkled throughout
- Simple text for reading aloud or for beginning readers
- Ideas for related activities
- A helpful glossary
- Flexible binding for durability
Get Outside Guide (ages 8-12)
This fun-filled guide inspires kids to get out of the house and explore the great outdoors, whether in their backyard, across the country, or around the world. Full of fun activities, kids will learn how to make backyard bird baths, explore their local state parks, participate in an outdoor community event, and much more. Activities for every season and rainy day activities are also included. Facts, lists, and sidebars supplement activities to help put information into geographic, scientific, and/or historical context to help kids dig deeper and learn more.
Read about these greatest of American treasures — from Acadia to Zion — in preparation for a park visit sometime soon. Filled with color photos, animal information, fascinating lists, facts, maps, cool things to do, conservation tips, and much more, think of this book as your trusted guide to these most majestic places.
Ultimate Explorer Field Guide: Night Sky (ages 8-12)
This photo-filled, fact-packed night sky guide encourages kids to stop and look up to spot stars and planets right from their own backyards. From Mars to meteor showers, Scorpius to satellites, kids will learn how, where, and when to spot these space-dwelling phenomena in the night sky at any time of year. With tons of info and interactivity prompts, it’s the perfect companion for backyard field trips, camping, or vacation. Durable and portable, it’s just right for your pocket or backpack!
Weird But True Know It All: Rocks and Minerals (ages 8-12)
In this latest single-subject Weird But True! book, readers will learn about everything from rocks in outer space to precious gems found in Earth’s deepest oceans and everything in between, including rock-related careers, art, geography, history, consumer products (did you know the average car has 44 pounds of copper in it??) and simple tools, tips and “how to’s” to get outside and become a rock hound!
- Did you know that Montana’s Grasshopper Glacier is filled with millions of frozen locusts that got caught in a storm more than 300 million years ago?
- Or that Roman soldiers were said to get some of their pay in salt, and the word salary comes from “sal,” the Roman word for salt?
National Geographic Backyard Safari Kit (ages 6+)
Dress for adventure! The National Geographic Backyard Safari Kit includes a safari vest featuring handy cargo pockets and carry tabs, a safari hat, and loads of gear for making the most out of any outdoor adventure, including a magnifying glass, compass, whistle, and pair of binoculars, all made especially for kids with durability and safety in mind. The set also comes with a mini pencil and field guide that details the characteristics of the different types of animals and plant life your kids will see and provides pages for them to record their observations.
RELATED: Nat Geo Dinosaur Books
Stay Connected: #EscapeTheIndoors, #GreatOutdoorsMonth, #GetOutdoorsDay