This post may contain affiliate links and/or Amazon affiliate links; I will be compensated if you make a purchase after clicking on my links. Please see my full disclosure policy for details.
ila Security provides a must-have range of security accessories that are chic, feminine and versatile.
I received the ila Dusk Personal Alarm in the Japanese Flowers. This little alarm is small enough to fit in my hand or on my key chain. It emits an ear-piercing 130Db female scream that research has shown others are more likely to respond to than a traditional alarm, as well as disorientating an attacker. You never know when you are going to need some protection. When I was working, before the kids, I always carried mace with me. Looking back I don’t know why I stopped carrying it. As much as I take extra precaution when I am out, either by myself or with the kids, I like to know I have a little something extra.
Here are ila Security’s Top Ten Safety Tips:
1. PLAN AHEAD: Take a few minutes before you go out to think through and plan your journey, particularly if it’s not a regular route.
2. CARRY A MOBILE PHONE: This can be a lifeline when stranded.
3. LET SOMEONE KNOW: Keep in touch with a member of your family or a friend, particularly of you’re feeling nervous or a little vulnerable on a new route.
4. CARRY PERSONAL SECURITY ALARM: This could give you the opportunity to stop any attacker in his tracks.
5. WALK WITH CONFIDENCE: Following all these tips will give you confidence and there’s no doubt that striking out, head up, oozing confidence is one of the best ways of putting off a potential attacker.
6. DON’T FLASH YOUR CASH OR VALUABLES: If you stop at a cash machine or shop on the way, try to conduct transactions as discretely as possible.
7. TAKE OFF THOSE HEADPHONES: It’s sooo tempting to lose yourself in your favorite music when walking home or to work, but being aware of your surroundings and the other people around you will sharpen your senses and provide an early warning system of any potential trouble.
8. ALWAYS USE LICENSED CABS: When your feet are sore, you’re tired, fed up and desperate to get home it’s oh so tempting to get into a car when the driver says ‘Want a cab, love?’ Please don’t – licensed cab drivers are only allowed to ply for hire in a regulated cab rank.
9. IF YOU THINK YOU’RE BEING FOLLOWED: I know – our worst nightmare. But it needn’t be if you keep your wits about you and act fast. First, try crossing a road or turning back on yourself. If they continue to follow, assume your suspicions are right and get help. Try pretty much anywhere there are people – pub, bar, cafe, shop, service station, etc or knock on the nearest door where the lights are on.
10. TRUST YOUR INSTINCTS: We’ll all develop instincts or intuition for danger as we gain more experience of life. But it’s easy, particularly under influence of alcohol or peer pressure to ignore what they’re telling you. Trust them and you’ll invariably stay one step ahead of the criminal.
Buy It: ila can be found on eBay