This post may contain affiliate links. The Review Wire may collect a share of sales if you decide to shop from them. Please see my full disclosure policy for details.
Nighttime can be a scary time for little ones. Don’t dismiss their fear, instead, help them through it. Whether it’s with a homemade monster spray, a monster finding expedition, a good old fashioned, hair-raising scream party or just plain old-fashioned cuddle buggin’, you are sure to find a solution below to your nighttime monster madness.
Make it fun. Get the entire family involved while you search high and low. This patrol only works if mom or dad dress as ridiculously as possible. The little ones must be the leaders. Some uniform ideas:
- Old leisure suites
- 80’s vintage workout gear
- That sweater… you know the one I’m talking about
- High heels or knee-high boots
Mix and match for the greatest impact!
Monster Spray Recipe
This is super easy… add 3-4 drops of essential oil to a water bottle and then fill with water. Shake well. Then spray around the room… told you this was pretty easy! If you want to take an extra step, let your child decorate a water bottle with ribbon in their favorite colors or designs.
As for what essential oil to use, here are 3 that helps to calm:
- Lavender is relaxing and calming to the body and mind
- Valerian Root is calming and grounding in the body and mind
- Roman Chamomile creates inner peace
This one works very well and has been tested. Gather the whole gang into a bedroom, or even better, a closet. Without notice start screaming. Soon enough the little ones will join in and monsters will be fleeing the scene. The key to success here is the pitch. You’ve really got to hit the high notes. Think Poltergeist, Halloween or Creepers.
That’s right. Sometimes the best monster eradication steps won’t work and your little goblin needs to hunker down in the big bed with mom or dad. Cuddle buggin’ is fun and can soothe little one’s monster fears. A few key items:
- Big bed
- As many covers and quilts and blankets as you can stand
- Pillows. Lots of pillows!
- Assorted stuffed animals
- A book about rocket ships, race cars, cows or fish… but whatever you do, don’t bring a book about monsters!