Carbon Monoxide: What You Need to Know from First Alert Carbon Monoxide: What You Need to Know from First Alert

Carbon Monoxide: What You Need to Know from First Alert

This post may contain affiliate links and/or Amazon Affiliate links. Please see my full disclosure policy for details.

What is Carbon Monoxide?

Sources of Carbon MonoxideCarbon monoxide, or “CO,” is an odorless, colorless gas that can kill you! CO is found in fumes produced any time you burn fuel in cars or trucks, small engines, stoves, lanterns, grills, fireplaces, gas ranges, or furnaces. CO can build up indoors and poison people and animals who breathe it. Because carbon monoxide is odorless, having a CO alarm can be a life saver!

What are Carbon Monoxide Symptoms?

CO poisoning can include headaches, dizziness, weakness, upset stomach, vomiting, chest pain, and confusion. CO symptoms are often described as “flu-like.”
Carbon Monoxide SymptomsWhat should you do when a CO alarm sounds?

  • 1. Operate the Test/Silence button.
  • 2. Call your emergency services, fire department or 911.
  • 3. Immediately move to fresh air—outdoors or by an open door or window. Do a head count to check that all persons are accounted for. Do not reenter the premises, or move away from the open door or window until the emergency services responder has arrived, the premises have been aired out, and your CO Alarm remains in its normal condition.

The First Alert Carbon Monoxide Detector

First Alert 10-Year Battery Carbon Monoxide Detector The new First Alert 10-Year Battery Carbon Monoxide Detector can display the ambient temperature on an everyday basis but will also alarm and display CO if it detects carbon monoxide in the home. A loud, 85dB alarm if carbon monoxide levels are detected at dangerous levels.

  • • Includes a long life sealed lithium battery to power the alarm for a full 10 years without replacing the battery.
  • • Gives you an end of life warning telling you it’s time to take it down and put up a new one (it doesn’t get much easier than that).
  • • Has a digital readout letting you and first responders know what the highest level of carbon monoxide was.  
  • • Tells you the temperature in the home.  

Carbon monoxide (CO) is the leading cause of accidental poisoning deaths in America, yet many people don’t know they are suffering from CO poisoning until its too late. That’s why a carbon monoxide alarm is an excellent way to protect your family. It can detect the CO you can’t see, smell or taste in the air.

Stay Connected:

First Alert Giveaway:CLOSED

THIS GIVEAWAY IS NOW CLOSED: WINNER JACKIE V

One reader will receive a First Alert 10-Year Battery Carbon Monoxide Detector {$59.95}. See form for Entry Details. Open to U.S. residents. You must be 18 years old to enter to win. This giveaway ends at 11:59 PM EST on 5.27.16

All entries will be verified. Only one entrant per mailing address per giveaway. If you have won the same prize on another blog, you will not be eligible to win it again. The winner will be chosen randomly through Giveaway Tools and contacted via email. A reply to the winning email is required within 48 hours before a new winner is chosen. Void where prohibited by law. One person entering per household, please. The Review Wire is not responsible for shipment of prize.

   

You Might Also Like

Previous Story
Next Story

22 Comment

  1. Cheryl B.
    May 12, 2016 at 7:40 pm

    I heard a horror story of a family who died because of carbon Monoxide poisoning. 6 Family members passed away that day, the home didn’t have any working CO detectors. Extremely sad.

  2. Leigh Anne Borders
    May 12, 2016 at 7:56 pm

    I have not had any personal experience with carbon monoxide. I have tried to stay current on the studies around it though.

  3. Barrie
    May 12, 2016 at 8:13 pm

    Several years ago, we rented a cabin in the woods with our child. When we returned, we all slept for over 12 hours for a few days, odd for all of us. I was concerned about carbon dioxide although we all tested negative.

  4. Debbie Welchert
    May 13, 2016 at 8:45 am

    I have never had an encounter with carbon monoxide before and I don’t know anyone personally who has. But I see stories on the news all the time and it scares me.

  5. Erin Ellis
    May 13, 2016 at 11:10 am

    I have not had an encounter with carbon monoxide. However, it is always a fear that I have had.

  6. Jennifer Rogers
    May 15, 2016 at 5:46 am

    To my knowledge I have not had an encounter with carbon monoxide. Nor do I know anyone that has had an encounter with carbon monoxide. But, it is always best to be safe rather than sorry!

  7. June S.
    May 16, 2016 at 9:30 pm

    We have never had a scare with carbon monoxide ever yet, and I am hoping we never do.

  8. Laurajj
    May 17, 2016 at 10:20 am

    We have not thankfully had an experience with Carbon Monoxide, but I have heard stories on the news. It is so scary.

  9. Sandy Cain
    May 17, 2016 at 10:40 am

    I am beginning to suspect that we have a carbon monoxide problem here. My mom uses 2 space heaters at night, keeps her door closed, and all the windows closed. She always wakes up with a headache and is nauseated. She is always weak, too. I’m starting to think that she has a chronic, low-level exposure to carbon monoxide. I am going to investigate this!! OMG!

  10. Cheryl Chervitz
    May 17, 2016 at 1:56 pm

    I used to be a nurse, and I did see carbon monoxide problems. I sure could use this.

  11. Cynthia C
    May 23, 2016 at 7:01 am

    My friend had a defective furnace and had a problem with carbon monoxide. Luckily it was discovered and repaired before anyone got sick.

  12. Christina Sparks
    May 23, 2016 at 11:51 am

    This would be useful to have. I had a cousin get sick from carbon monoxide poisoning.

  13. Kristi Kellberg
    May 23, 2016 at 2:01 pm

    I have never had an experience with carbon monoxide, but it is
    a fear that I experience every fall when we turn on the furnace.I have been reminded again about the importance of
    installing a carbon monoxide monitor to alleviate all doubt
    about the safety of my home.

  14. Char
    May 24, 2016 at 9:38 am

    Thank you so much for this offer! My family would love to have this in the home.

  15. DENISE LOW
    May 24, 2016 at 4:18 pm

    We have never had this carbon monoxide problem. But I would love to have this. Thank you for the entry.

  16. Cynthia W
    May 26, 2016 at 6:02 pm

    I have not had any personal experience with carbon monoxide. I have heard many stories, though, in the news, which is quite frightening!

  17. Michele P
    May 26, 2016 at 6:47 pm

    I personally have never had an issue with carbon monoxide. I work for a non-profit however, and we help people with fuel assistance to heat their homes in the winter months. At times, we will hear of our clients using faulty heating systems to keep warm or using a BBQ grill in the house with windows shut etc… to keep warm. Some of them have had to be treated in the past for this by medical personnel.

  18. Sarah L
    May 27, 2016 at 12:41 am

    I don’t know anyone who’s had to deal with carbon monoxide. I know I should have a device like this.
    Thanks for the contest.

  19. carl
    May 27, 2016 at 8:32 am

    wow

  20. Richard Hicks
    May 27, 2016 at 4:35 pm

    I have not personally been affected by CO. I have read horrible reports where people have died from it.

  21. Ashley Chassereau Parks
    May 27, 2016 at 7:54 pm

    I don’t really have any experience with carbon monoxide. We do have a gas stove, so we like to keep monoxide detectors near it. We are moving to a new house soon and I would love to have a new one to take to that house and be able to leave this one with the family who buys our current house.

  22. Lily Kwan
    May 27, 2016 at 8:32 pm

    I haven’t had an encounter with carbon monoxide. I’ll definitely check out this carbon monoxide alarm!

Comments are closed.