While Valentine’s Day has traditionally been about flowers, cards and chocolate, this year, the ultimate authority on record breaking, Guinness World Records, is spotlighting the most swoon-worthy Valentine’s Day record achievements.
Here are some highlights of Valentine’s Day related records:
Largest Underwater Wedding
- The largest underwater wedding was achieved by 303 divers who attended the marriage ceremony between Ewa Staronska and Pawel Burkowski (both Poland) during an event organised by Orka Group Ltd (Poland) at the Koparki Diving Base, Jaworzno, Poland, on August 27, 2011.
- Herbert Fisher (USA, b. 10 June 1905) and Zelmyra Fisher (USA, b. 10 December 1907) were married on May 13, 1924 in North Carolina, USA. They had been married 86 years, 9 months, and 16 days as of February 27, 2011. Herbert Fisher sadly died on Sunday February 27, 2011. The couple had 5 children.
Oldest Love Poem
- The oldest surviving love poem is written in a clay tablet from the times of the Sumerians, inventors of writing around 3500 BD, and was called by archaeologists by a very un-romantic name: ‘Istanbul #2461’. The author is unknown but is believed to have been recited by a bride of Sumerian King Shu-Sin, who ruled between 2037 and 2029 BC. The following is the start of the poem:
Bridegroom, dear to my heart,
Goodly is your beauty, honeysweet,
Lion, dear to my heart,
Goodly is your beauty, honeysweet.
First Known Heart Shaped Box Of Chocolate
- Richard Cadbury (UK), the eldest son of John Cadbury, founder of the world famous company, created the first known heart-shaped box of chocolates for Valentine’s Day 1868. He was a pioneer in chocolate box design and often used his own paintings to make the lids of the boxes more appealing.
Largest Box Of Chocolate
- The largest box of chocolates is a Thorntons Moments box weighing 3,725 lbs. It was produced by Thorntons and Russell Beck Studios, and weighed in Bethnal Green, London, UK, on 2 April 2, 2008.The box was 16 ft 6 in long, 11 ft 2 in wide and 3 ft 3 1/2 in deep.
Largest Collection Of Teddy Bears
- Jackie Miley (USA) had 7,106 different teddy bears, as of March 11, 2011, which she has been collecting since 2002. When Jackie began the collection in 2002, she had no idea things would turn out as they have. When the collection grew, she thought she would like to collect as many teddy bears as Hill City’s population (780) for a goal. Since then her collection has grown to such an extent that she now has them in a little house of their own called Teddy Bear Town. It is located across the street from her apartment.
Largest Mural Of Kisses
- The largest mural of kisses consisted of 13,316 kisses and was achieved by NIVEA Brasil, at Pinheiros Station, São Paulo, Brazil, on June 12, 2012.
- The longest kiss lasted 58 hours, 35 minutes and 58 seconds and was achieved by Ekkachai Tiranarat and Laksana Tiranarat (both Thailand) at an event organized by Ripley’s Believe It or Not! Pattaya, in Pattaya, Thailand, on February 12-14 2013. Nine couples entered the annual competition, including a married couple in their 70s. However, it was previous record holders Ekkachai Tiranarat and Laksana Tiranarat who came out on top, scooping a cash prize and two diamond rings as well as another Guinness World records title.
Largest Chocolate Truffle
- The largest chocolate truffle weighted 1,768 lb 11 oz and was achieved by Mirco Della Vecchia, Andrea Andrighetti, Rimini Fiera, Fabbri 1905, Icam and Martellato (all Italy) at the Sigep Fair in Rimini, Italy on January 21, 2012.
Most Hugs Given In 24 Hours By An Individual
- The most hugs given in 24 hours is 8,709 and was achieved by Jonathan Sexton (USA) at the Bonnaroo Music and Arts Festival in Manchester, Tennessee, on 11 June 11, 2010. The attempt raised money for United Way’s “Restore the Dream” fund, which aided individuals attempted by flooding in Nashville.
- Visit the Guinness World Record Website